In the words of Jerri Blank: "I've got somethin' to say!"

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Oh the Places I've Been

This is semi-plagiarizing Jessica's blog entry, but I have my own unique spin on it.

I wasn't expecting to add my own GoogleEarth experience to my blog, but while I was putting off my Conclusion chapter for my thesis, I decided to look up the house I lived in while living in New Mexico. I went to Roswell, NM through an internship with the Student Conservation Association. A worthwhile experience, by the way. If you are in between jobs/educational pursuits, I highly recommend you consider an internship with the SCA. Through them I worked four 10-hour days per week chainsawing invasive tamarisk (a.k.a. salt cedar) trees in the New Mexican desert. For the majority of the trip, I lived in a humble little house in Roswell, New Mexico with three other interns.

The course of this internship was 4 months, and it was two and a half years ago. So it was much to my surprise when I looked up the address on GoogleEarth and saw my car in the driveway.


I decided to look up all of the other places I have lived as well. Most of them are not too interesting. Many of them do not have a street view, and even the aerial views are a little blurry. But I think the far-away photo of the house where I grew up is a fairly good portrayal of a middle-America suburb.
(Cue Weeds theme song, "Little Boxes")

And last, but not least, you have probably heard me talking/seen me writing about my dream apartment in San Diego lately. The street view of the place does not do it justice. There is a UPS truck along with street maintenance crews and traffic. That is not the Marine Street I learned to love. Here is an aerial view. I think you will understand what I loved so much about it simply from this view.

I can smell the salty sea air right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment