In the words of Jerri Blank: "I've got somethin' to say!"

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Chat Roulette

So you have probably heard of or even tried Chat Roulette by now. I assume you have heard of it, because every journalist in the world on every media outlet has covered it. In case you haven't heard of it, or even if you have, check out the following clip about it from Ben Hoffman of Infomania on Current TV. (In case you haven't noticed, I think CurrentTV is the bees knees!) Chat roulette is basically a chat site using a webcam that allows you to connect with, talk to, and look at a random stranger.

I tried Chat Roulette once, and it was obviously creepy. But not necessarily because not one of the people on the other end was female, or because there was some serious groin-groping going on. I just kind of sat there, looking bored, "nexting" each person because: A)I don't have anything to say to an anonymous stranger, and B)I didn't really want them to look at me. I have a certain voyeuristic side to me, I'll admit. But the exhibitionist side, not so well developed. Are the two diametrically opposed? I wonder how many people trying chat roulette are voyeurs and how many are exhibitionists. To be honest, most of them just seemed bored.

But to comment on the penis-action I saw that fateful afternoon...Why is it that the first thing people think of when they get their hands on new technology is to turn it into something sexual? When I was introduced to chat roulette via several reports on TV, it was immediately posited as a sexually deviant place. If someone had told me about the idea of chat roulette without mentioning any connection with sexuality, would I immediately have thought of the sexual angle people would play with it? Probably.

Oh the things humanity will do under the veil of anonymity... Until someone they know recognizes the identifying birthmark of a loved one's hand as he "anonymously" masturbates to strangers over the internet.

To close this discussion, here is a clip of chat roulette in action in a way that is creative, not creepy. There is an f-bomb in there, so don't watch it on high volume with your grandma or anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment