In the words of Jerri Blank: "I've got somethin' to say!"

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Alice in Wonderland- A minute Review

I submitted this clip for consideration for the Current TV show, Rotten Tomatoes.



Here is a clip from Jan Svankmajer's version:

In addition to this short video, I have plenty to say about the movie. I wanted it to be incredible since I am such a fan of Alice in Wonderland. Unfortunately, I'm more of a fan of American McGee's video game version of Alice in Wonderland that Tim Burton's highly anticipated film. I wanted it to be darker and more sinister. Although the insanity angle is played more thoroughly in Tim Burton's new movie than Dinsey's cartoon version, I still could have used more insanity. The acting was so exaggerated it drove me crazy. Anne Hathaway's character, the White Queen, is always talking in the delicate whisper of a Disney princess, and always waving her hands back and forth whimsically. It was distracting to the point that I was hyper-aware of Hathaway's presence as an actress, and I didn't lose myself in the fantasy of Underland or any of its characters. Helena Bonham Carter (as the Red Queen) was by far the most enchanting part of the film, and I was relieved for her contribution whenever she came into a scene.

My disappointment may have partially come from the fact that I was in the fourth row at an IMAX theater, and my eyes and brain were fried after the 2 hour 3-D joyride. But I had been looking forward to this movie for a long time, and was heartbroken to be let down by Mr. Burton's rendition.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Melissa! I didn't know you kept this! Ok I am now your ardent follower.
    I don't want to be dramatic but I do sense that Tim Burton is kind of dropping off. Or maybe is it because we are aging? Does Nightmare Before Christmas hold up still when we are in our mid-twenties? Then again there is always Edward Scissor-hands which holds a place in my heart. I don't know, but I had low expectations for this movie, It seems like it falls in the realm of visual stimulation rather than a movie adaptation of a masterpiece of literature.

    ReplyDelete