In the words of Jerri Blank: "I've got somethin' to say!"

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Thesis Defense in Lunch Lady Land

Here is a short narrative of the most memorable part of my thesis defense. And no, it is not about the moment when Risa came out into the hall and said to me "congratulations" with a big smile on her face. But that was definitely my favorite part. Spectators may have been more entertained by someone known to me only as "The Lunch Lady."

I wanted to defend my thesis in the same building I teach in every day, just to give me the safety and security of a familiar place. However, the only room that was open during my scheduled thesis defense time was a community room, complete with a stinky refrigerator where faculty and staff can put their lunches (and obviously forget them for weeks).

Less than 5 minutes into my presentation, a woman walks nonchalantly into the room, and gets a plastic bag out of the fridge. The resulting smell from her opening the refrigerator horrified as all, but not as much as the 3 minute ritual said "Lunch Lady" performed over her lunch on a counter-top mere feet away from me where I was presenting. I looked to my thesis advisor, "what should I do?" "Keep going if it won't distract you." Well after said 3-ish minutes of the Lunch Lady noisily unpacking and repacking her lunch in various (dare I say millions?) of containers and plastic bags. *rustle rustle rattle rattle* I couldn't take it any more. Everyone is looking at one another in disbelief as Lola snaps some winning candid shots of the moment (pictured below). "I'm sorry, but can I wait until she is done?" I wait for a few seconds before asking this individual (who obviously lacks some social graces and manners) if she was planning on being done anytime soon or.... Witnesses later agreed, we were all just holding our breaths, waiting for the moment she would pop open that microwave and turn it on, too. The Lunch Lady seemed completely unembarrassed and unfazed by the whole debacle. She continued rattling around the plastic bags and containers until she was good and ready. She then took her time collecting her bags once again before she left. One last winning photo was taken, *snap* and I finally proceeded.

It was annoying, but it was an experience I will never forget. And the new-found solidarity I found between myself and my audience gave me the confidence to move forward even more comfortably than before. To all of those who came to my thesis defense, I thank you so much for being a part of this experience with me (and not just the Lunch Lady portion). And to all of those who helped push me along the thesis path, thank you as well. Good luck to those of you who have yet to defend! Si se puede!

1 comment:

  1. See, my Ph.D. defense consisted largely of analyzing the drive to war (it was summer 2002), a postmortem on the recently-concluded World Cup, and which of us had time for lunch at the Moosewood thereafter.

    I'm glad yours was a lovefest. You are lucky in being advised by Risa - but vice versa too, for sure!

    Congratulation with dark chocolate sauce and colored sprinkles on top! Wooo hooooo!

    Patty

    ReplyDelete